I know we are all trying to stay away from sugar, but for those times when you feel like you just have to have a little treat and are looking for a healthier alternative to conventional cakes and cookies, give this banana bread a try. Believe it or not it’s grain free and yet it is extremely moist. Made with coconut flour, this banana bread is gluten free and contains no refined sugar. Coconut flour is high in fiber and protein and a great option for those who are sensitive or intolerant to wheat and other grains. Instead of using refined or artificial sweeteners, this banana bread is naturally sweetened with Medjool dates which are higher in potassium than bananas and are a good source of other nutrients to include Vitamins A, B, K, thiamine, niacin, copper, and magnesium. Talk about “yummy-lishous”. This is a healthy recipe that even kids and your “junk food loving” friends will like.
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (sifted)
- 6 eggs
- 4 medjool dates + 1/2 tsp maple syrup (**see below**)
- 1/4 coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mashed bananas
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl
- Combine the wet ingredients together in a small bowl and mix with hand mixer
- Add wet ingredients to dry and continue to mix.
- Add ingredients to a greased loaf pan and bake for approx. 45-50 minutes depending on your oven. (Begin checking at 40 minutes). Bread is done when a knife is placed into the center and comes out clean.
The batter can also be divided into three mini-loaf pans and baked for 30 minutes. You can add in other ingredients such as raisins or nuts to suit your taste.
**Remove the seeds from the dates and place them in a small cook pot. Add the maple syrup and lightly heat. The dates should begin to soften. Take a fork and mash the dates to the consistency of paste. Allow to cool slightly before combining with other wet ingredients**
Original Recipe Courtesy Primal-Palate.com